Teaching holidays around the world can be so fun and engaging, but also rigorous! I am going to share 5 activities for holidays around the world that you can use in your classroom today!
Hanukkah Activity for Holidays Around the World
- Read, “Celebrate Hanukkah” by Deborah Heiligman. This is on EPIC for free!
- Before reading, fill in the K and W part of your KWL chart.
- After reading, fill in the L and discuss any misconceptions from the K.
- Make a menorah that has the main idea of the story on the bottom and the details on the candles.
This activity for holidays around the world focuses on Kwanzaa and researching!
- Students will work in pairs or groups. Give them the EPIC book collection for Kwanzaa provided here!
- Using the books, have them write an informational paragraph about what Kwanzaa is!
By putting your email below you can receive a FREE Webquest for students to do that focuses on St. Lucia day which is
a great a ctivity for holidays around the world!
- Watch this video to learn more about Las Posadas.
- Then, have students write a comparison essay comparing their traditions to Las Posadas.
Christmas in Different Countries
One way you can do an activity for holidays around the world and learn about all the different countries is through a challenge!
- Print off articles or find a close read on all the different countries (or grab them ready to go here).
- Then, place them around the room.
- Students go around the room reading about the different countries and their traditions. Each place needs at least one question.
- They answer the question and then come to you to get it checked.
- If it is right they can color that country on their map or on their passport (passport provided in the challenge)
- Once done, they receive some sDo yDoort of prize. Ideas could be free computer time, extra recess, or a Christmas snack!
Want more activities?! Head here!